Free Consulations 610-825-0500

Free Consultations (610) 825-0500

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers from Montgomery County Personal Injury Lawyers

The team of Montgomery County personal injury attorneys at Morris Wilson Knepp Jacquette, P.C. have decades of collective legal experience. Since the firm’s founding, we have made a name for ourselves as a boutique firm that obtains top results throughout Southeast Pennsylvania. Whether our clients are trying to claim just compensation after an injury or navigate a complex commercial litigation case, our firm can provide the legal services they need in order to succeed.

If your answers are not satisfactorily answered here, call our firm at (610) 825-0500 today!

How does Morris Wilson Knepp Jacquette compare with other law firms?

The lawyers at Morris Wilson Knepp Jacquette, P.C. have decades of experience in a variety of practice areas, with a true strength in trial work. We have the experience and reputation as top trial lawyers, and can handle your case from inception all the way through trial, if necessary. Because we are a small firm, your case gets the personal attention of our experienced lawyers, who have access to renowned experts in many medical and technical fields to assist you in getting the best possible results in your case.

Do I really need a lawyer?

If you are asking this question, it means that you are concerned or confused about your legal rights, and do need a lawyer. If you have been seriously injured due to an auto accident, poor medical care, a product malfunction, or a workplace accident, you may need an attorney to protect your rights. There are many issues that arise not only concerning payments of benefits from your own insurance company concerning medical bills and lost wages, but also many complex questions regarding your right to bring a claim. You need a knowledgeable professional who will look after your interests, which insurance companies, agents and adjusters do not. At no cost or obligation to you, the lawyers of Morris Wilson will evaluate your situation and let you know whether or not you may have claims which you can pursue. In real estate and contract matters, the crucial point is the negotiation and drafting of the agreement of sale or other contract. Without proper legal advice, you could end up not fully protected and disappointed. If you are contemplating entering any type of real estate transaction or business agreement, you need to have solid legal advice to make sure that your rights are protected.

Do you have the expertise to handle my case?

The lawyers of Morris Wilson Knepp Jacquette, P.C. have earned the respect of judges and lawyers as skillful and knowledgeable attorneys with the highest ethical standards. One of our lawyers is certified as a Civil Trial Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. That lawyer has also earned membership in the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, which is limited to attorneys who have won million and multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements. Two of our attorneys are Past-Presidents of the Montgomery Trial Lawyers Association.

What kind of lawyer do I need?

When you have a legal problem that involves a particular or complex area of the law, you need to go to a lawyer or law firm which concentrates its practice in that area. If you have a heart problem, you would look to go to a cardiologist who concentrates on treating heart problems. Therefore, if you have, for example, a personal injury case, especially if it involves negligent medical treatment or product malfunction, you need to go to a lawyer or law firm which concentrates its practice in those areas. The lawyers at Morris Wilson Knepp Jacquette concentrate in the areas of practice listed on our home page. You may not be sure into which, if any, category your matter fits. We will consult with you at no charge and no obligation, and if your matter falls into one of our areas of practice, we will be happy to evaluate it for you. If your matter calls for legal expertise in an area in which we do not practice, we will assist you in finding a lawyer with proper expertise.

Who will handle my case?

Each case accepted by our office is handled primarily by one of our experienced partners. We take a team approach, however, to handling all of our cases, and devote all resources necessary to properly handle a case. We have a staff of six experienced lawyers and three trained paralegals, all of whom are available to assist in achieving good results for our clients

What will you charge to represent me?

In each case, we will arrive at a fee arrangement with you with which you can be comfortable. All fee agreements are in writing, so that you know what to expect. In serious personal injury cases, we will typically represent a client on a contingent fee basis, meaning that the legal fee will be a percentage of the recovery through settlement or verdict. Under a typical contingent fee arrangement, you do not pay a legal fee unless we obtain a recovery for you by way of settlement or verdict. In other litigation matters, including commercial litigation and employment discrimination, our fee arrangements could be on an hourly charge basis, a contingent fee basis or some combination, depending on the individual circumstances of your case. Each case is different and carries separate considerations which we will fully discuss with you in coming to an agreement as to the legal fee. Corporate, commercial and real estate matters can also be subject to a variety of fee arrangements, depending on the circumstances and complexity of the matter.

If I am injured in a car accident, who pays my medical bills?

Pennsylvania drivers are required to carry insurance which provides at least minimal coverage for the medical expenses of the insured driver. After the exhaustion of your car insurance medical coverage, you would look to your private health insurer to pay your medical bills. Even if the accident is the other driver’s fault, you still must look to your own insurance company to pay your medical expenses. You may also have coverage for lost wages on your own insurance policy, which is another benefit which you may be able to obtain. You can still bring a claim against the other driver for damages suffered as a result of your injuries, even if your own insurance company has paid the medical bills. There are many sources of benefits and insurance coverage which may be available, but which may not always be obvious and which can be very confusing. If you are seriously injured in an auto accident, we can help you to sort it out and get your proper benefits.

What should I do if I think that I have been injured by improper medical or hospital care?

A claim for injuries caused by medical negligence or carelessness, often referred to as a medical malpractice claim, must be brought within two years of the date on which the injury occurred. These cases must be fully investigated to make sure that there is a good case to bring, and must be reviewed not only by experienced lawyers but also by medical professionals before suit can be filed. Therefore, if you think that your injury may have been the result of negligent medical care, you should consult with an attorney experienced in medical negligence matters as soon as possible. In addition, you should also make a request to obtain all of your hospital records and records from your treating doctors. State law gives you the right to get a complete copy of your medical records upon your written request. Having a copy of your medical records available for your attorney to review at an early stage will be of great assistance. You should also take steps to preserve any evidence of your injury. This would include, in addition to medical records, any prescriptions or prescription bottles, medical bills, statements or receipts, photographs of your injuries or injured areas and the names and addresses of any doctors, hospitals, nurses, therapists, ambulance or rescue personnel who may have been involved with your care. It is also a good idea to keep notes describing your condition, how you feel, what problems you are having on a day to day basis, and recording the dates of any doctor visits or significant events related to your condition.

What should I do if I think a defective or malfunctioning product caused my injuries?

Like medical negligence cases, product liability claims are very complicated, complex and difficult to prove, and require extensive investigation and analysis. For these reasons, it is very important that you consult with an attorney experienced in product liability claims as soon as possible after the injury. Perhaps most important is to keep and save the product involved. Don’t let anyone throw it away or change its condition. Make sure to get good photographs and/or video of the product to document the condition of it. Do not agree to any repairs to the product until you have consulted an attorney. If someone other than you has possession or control of the product, you need to tell them immediately that they are not to dispose of the product or in any way change its condition. Sometimes, an insurance company takes possession of and/or stores the product, such as a motor vehicle. You need to notify your insurance company that you may have a product liability claim, and that they are to preserve the car and not dispose of it. Regardless of who has or owns the product, you need to get as much information about it as you possibly can, including the type of product, the make and model number, the name of the manufacturer, any serial numbers, model numbers or other identifying information, as well as any information concerning any repairs or maintenance to the product.

Get the Attention to Detail Your Case Needs