Free Consulations 610-825-0500

Free Consultations (610) 825-0500

$50+ Million Recovered Since 2015

$20 Million, Product Liability Settlement

$7.7 Million Medical Misdiagnosis Verdict

Best Law Firm Rated for Medical Malpractice & Personal Injury Law (2016-2023)

Morris Wilson Best Law Firms US News World Report

Best Law Firm Rated for Medical Malpractice & Personal Injury Law (2016-2023)


Offices in Philadelphia & Conshohocken, PA

    Is It Possible to Sue a Government Agency for an Accident?

    by | May 2, 2018 | Personal Injury


    Medical malpractice cases accepted across Pennsylvania, including Philadelphia County, Montgomery County, Delaware County, Chester County and Bucks County. Our offices are located in Conshohocken, PA (Montgomery County) and Philadelphia, PA. (610) 825-0500

    You may be surprised to learn that if you are the victim of an accident in which the liable party is the government, you have the right to file a claim for compensation against them. Here’s what you need to know about suing a government agency:

    1. Time Is of the Essence: First, you need to follow the proper timeline, or else your claim may be denied. Although the statute of limitations for a personal injury case in Pennsylvania is two years, you are required to file a notice of intent to sue within six months of your accident if you’re suing a government agency
    2. You Must Be Approved: No proceedings can take place if the claim is denied. Your official complaint won’t be allowed until your written claim of damages is approved.
    3. There Are Several Steps You Must Take: Unlike a regular personal injury claim, the steps involved in filing a lawsuit against a government agency are much more complicated. To ensure you take the right steps, you need a qualified personal injury attorney to help you through the proceedings.
    4. There Are Limits to Compensation: Pennsylvania has a damage cap of $500,000 when the injury claim involves a government entity. If filing against a Commonwealth agency or entity, Pennsylvania Code limits damages to $25,000 for one plaintiff or $1,000,000 for several parties.
    5. You Need An Attorney: If you want compensation for lost earnings, pain and suffering, medical expenses, loss of consortium and property losses, you need a highly qualified lawyer to make the process of suing the government much easier.

    Although they are complicated, lawsuits against government agencies can be won. If you’ve been injured, please contact our Montgomery County personal injury lawyers at Morris Wilson, P.C. today.

    Call (610) 825-0500 or contact us online for a free consultation.

    Related Legal Articles

    Get the Attention to Detail Your Case Needs