$50+ Million Recovered Since 2015
$20 Million, Product Liability Settlement
$7.7 Million Medical Misdiagnosis Verdict
Offices in Philadelphia & Conshohocken, PA
Tips to Help Prevent Motorcycle Accidents
Medical malpractice cases accepted across Pennsylvania, including Philadelphia County, Montgomery County, Delaware County, Chester County and Bucks County. Our offices are located in Conshohocken, PA (Montgomery County) and Philadelphia, PA. (610) 825-0500
Riding a motorcycle is an exhilarating experience. However, the same features that make a motorcycle alluring for thrill seekers also make it inherently less safe than a car. As such, safety should be a paramount concern and priority for all riders, to ensure that their ride out on the open highway does not turn into a dangerous one.
In general, for anyone on the road, paying attention to your surroundings is the best piece of advice anyone can offer to help avoid accidents. Here are some helpful tips that can, more specifically, help motorcyclists:
- Wear a Helmet: Motorcyclists are incredibly exposed without the same protections provided to drivers of automobiles, so wearing a helmet is a must and required in many states. For every 100 riders killed in a crash while not wearing a helmet, 37 would have survived had they taken this safety precaution, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. This number only accounts for fatal crashes and not for the numerous individuals who sustain severe, non-fatal injuries.
- Seek Professional Training: It might seem tempting to save a few bucks and try to self-teach yourself how to ride a motorcycle, or to learn from a friend, but getting professional training can save your life. Motorcyclists who are self-taught, or taught by friends, account for more than 90% of motorcycle accidents.
- Do Not Drink & Ride: It goes without saying that not only is this illegal, but dangerous. Unfortunately, about half of accidents involving a single motorcycle are alcohol-related.
- Wear Protective Gear: Once again, given your vulnerability, it is crucial to wear the appropriate clothing while riding a motorcycle to protect your body as much as possible. Wear goggles or sunglasses, a jacket, riding gloves, long pants, and boots. This does not mean any jacket or pants will do. You will need clothing made from abrasion-resistant material, such as leather. Bright colors can also help make you more visible to drivers on the road who might otherwise miss you.
- Do Not Share Lanes: Cars often do not expect to share lanes with other vehicles, so they usually will not notice a motorcycle sharing a lane with them. A motorcycle is smaller than a car and can easily get lost in the blind spots of cars. To prevent this type of accident, avoid sharing lanes with vehicles.
- Avoid Road Hazards: Road hazards are typically more dangerous for motorcycles than cars. Slick road conditions and debris can cause serious, even fatal, accidents, so be sure to look ahead and to always be aware of your surroundings.
- Follow Speed Limits: Speeding is another major cause of accidents among motorcyclists. The allure of speeding on your bike might be calling you, but your risk your life in doing so. You might not be able to turn properly, hit a patch of water and hydroplane, or run into car, person, or animal on the road.
Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Montgomery County
At Morris Wilson, P.C., we have handled many motorcycle accident cases in Southeast Pennsylvania as well as the surrounding areas. Combined, our Montgomery County motorcycle accident lawyers share nearly a century’s worth of legal experience, which we will put to use for you. Our client-focused approach has helped us achieve top results and, in the past 5 years alone, we have secured over $30 million in verdicts and settlements on behalf of our clients, so you can rest assured that your case is in good hands with us. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, you can count on us to fight for you.
Call us today at (610) 825-0500.
Related Legal Articles
- Third-Party Liability in Pennsylvania Work Injury Claims (March 9, 2018)
- Unsafe Lane Change Accidents (March 27, 2018)
- Pennsylvania Wrongful Death Law, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) (February 8, 2018)
Get the Attention to Detail Your Case Needs